"How's it goin' bros, my name's PewDiePie!" ― PewDiePie's intro
Felix Arvid Ulf Kjellberg (born: October 24, 1989MrBeast. With over 100 million subscribers, he is the second most subscribed user on YouTube, and the most subscribed individual content creator.), better known online as PewDiePie (or simply Pewds, formerly Pewdie) is a Swedish YouTuber, comedian, video game commentator and collaborator with
Early in his career, Felix's content mainly consisted of Let's Play videos. His commentaries of horror games were his best known content during this early stage, although he eventually expanded into other genres. Felix later became known for his freestyle/skit humor, vlogs, satirical commentary and multiple notable series such as Meme Review, LWIAY (Last Week I Asked You), Pew News and his Minecraft Let's Play Series.
He was frequently mentioned in MrBeast's videos during The Great Subscriber War, a competition between Felix and T-Series to become the most subscribed YouTuber. MrBeast was a supporter of Felix, and helped him remain the number 1 subscribed channel via advertisements (billboards, newspapers, radio commercials, and even being advertised at the super bowl), although Felix was eventually surpassed by T-Series in late April 2019 after Felix decided the "Subscribe to PewDiePie" meme had gone too far and told his fans to stop.
Felix and MrBeast have had numerous, with MrBeast appearing in the Congratulations music video and PewDiePie appearing in two episodes of the Among Us series. Felix has also collaborated with other MrBeast collaborators, such as KSI and Jaiden Animations.
Born in Gothenburg, Sweden, Felix joined YouTube on December 19, 2006. His earliest YouTube channel is Pewdie. In the beginning, he recorded gaming videos which usually revolved around Call of Duty on the channel. However, in 2010, he forgot the password but later remembered it in January 2012, at which point he deleted the original videos. Most content on the Pewdie channel consists of gaming, but there are vlogging videos as well. The first Fridays with PewDiePie videos were first uploaded on this channel.
Felix started as a CoD and Minecraft YouTuber on his main PewDiePie channel in 2010 and 2011. Like many other Call of Duty YouTubers then, he played short clips of his best kills and added comedic edits while commentating the game. With an old YouTube friend, Baz, he also did Minecraft let's plays. Felix had already gained a few thousand subscribers before playing Amnesia, which skyrocketed his channel.
He also has a friend who uploads short clips from his videos under the channel SkaterOfFabulous, which he mentioned in a "Fridays with PewDiePie" Q&A episode.
Felix started to gain media attention in 2012, as he uploaded videos of his dark humor and reactions to computer games and horror games, which really boosted his subscriber growth. Kjellberg gained the title of "most subscribed YouTube channel of all time" on August 15, 2013, surpassing Smosh. He eventually dropped to #2 after YouTube Spotlight surpassed him on November 2, 2013. On December 8, 2013, he beat the channel to reclaim the #1 spot, then lost it four days later to YouTube on December 12, 2013. After a back and forth between both channels, he then regained the top spot eleven days later on December 23, 2013 by becoming the most subscribed youtube channel.
He gained the second most amount of subscribers in 2012, jumping from slightly under 100,000 to 3.5 million subscribers, just behind JennaMarbles, the second-most in 2013, jumping from 3.5 to 19.3 million subscribers that year, just behind YouTube Spotlight, the most in 2014 by gaining nearly 14 million subscribers, the most again in 2015 behind by gaining over 8 million subscribers, the most once more in 2016 by gaining nearly 10 and a half million subscribers, and was ranked in the top twenty most subscriber gains in 2017, gaining nearly 8 million new subscribers that year. The war between him and T-Series resulted in almost 30 million new subscribers in the last four months of 2018, from which 6.62 million was gained only in December.
He's affiliated with 4 popular games, PewDiePie's Tuber Simulator, PewDiePie: Legend of the Brofist, Poopdie, and PewDiePie's Pixelings. He also wrote a book in October 2015 called "This Book Loves You". He has transitioned more into vlogging, reviewing and other internet topics. Felix is close friends with Jacksepticeye, Markiplier, CinnamonToastKen, RoomieOfficial, Boyinaband and many others, and is known to collaborate with other YouTuber's rather frequently.
At the start of 2020, Felix Arvid Ulf Kjellberg (PewDiePie) has taken a hiatus from YouTube and has deactivated his Twitter account. He since then returned on February 21, 2020, with the video "I went on a break for 30 days & THIS HAPPENED". He now streams exclusively on Youtube after signing a deal with them.
Felix was born in Gothenburg, Sweden. He graduated from Göteborgs Högre Samskola in 2008 and attended the Chalmers University of Technology to pursue a degree in Industrial Economics and Technology Management, but left in 2011 because he was bored. While it was said that he wanted to do more on YouTube to drop out from Chalmers, in 2017 Kjellberg clarified, "Why does everyone get this story wrong? [...] I dropped out of university because I didn't like it. To drop out of university to pursue YouTube, that'd just be f**king stupid." He added that "industrial management and economics [was] boring as hell [...] I couldn't relate to f**king anyone." During his early schooling life, he was interested in art and has detailed that he would draw popular video game characters such as Mario and Sonic the Hedgehog, as well as play video games on his Super Nintendo Entertainment System. During high school, he would skip classes to play video games at an Internet café with friends.
Some of Felix's first subscribers say that he has changed a lot but still says "he's awesome". Felix's first job was selling hot dogs near a beach. He currently resides in Brighton, East Sussex, England, United Kingdom.
On August 19, 2019, the 8 year anniversary of the day they first met, Felix married Italian former YouTuber Marzia Kjellberg (née Bisognin) in a private ceremony in the Temperate House and the Nash Conservatory, Kew Gardens, London, which they announced on Twitter and Instagram the next day. Most notably, the wedding was attended by some of Felix's friends like Jacksepticeye, RoomieOfficial, Boyinaband and CinnamonToastKen.
Felix has a somewhat common personality for YouTube. However, how he executes his personality is what makes him popular: he can act obnoxious, sarcastic and silly online. In his gaming videos, especially in the older ones, he would act scared, confused or angry while playing, offering viewers to enjoy something other than gameplay.
In 2017, due to YouTube's Community Guidelines on the amount of swearing needed for a video to be demonetized, Felix would often swear in his videos, usually aggressively, but now he only swears occasionally, in a non-aggressive manner. Felix has a tendency to swear aggressively in Swedish (which took a hiatus in 2016 before returning in January 2017) whenever he got scared or really angry while playing a video game.
In early 2016, Felix began to showcase a different personality and move away from calling his fanbase bros, performing the brofist and doing his intro as often and began to take a new approach in becoming more satirical and aggressive, as well as his accent fading down a bit. As so this personality started fading away in late 2017 possibly due to the backlash he got from the offensive jokes he made and YouTube's Community Guidelines he began using a slightly different personality (less aggressive, uses a different tone of voice but still satirical).
You Laugh, You Lose (YLYL)
You Laugh, You Lose, abbreviated as YLYL, is a series which revolves around Felix reacting to videos on the Internet while challenging the viewers to not laugh. Felix constantly laughs while watching those videos. Since December 2017, Felix sometimes calls the series "Skrattar du, förlorar du" ("You Laugh, You Lose" in Swedish). The very first video is based on malcolm_1466's Try Not To Laugh Challenge, uploaded on March 20, 2016, but the official first video of the series was titled "YOU LAUGH? YOU LOSE! CHALLENGE - YLYL #0001", uploaded on January 12, 2017. The series currently has 71 episodes.
LWIAY, stands for Last Week I Asked You is a series of videos that started off as a parody of Jacksfilms' Yesterday I Asked You (YIAY). The series features Felix asking his subscribers to create images of topics relating to himself or other trends on his channel and post them on Reddit. LWIAY replaced "Fridays with PewDiePie" after it was discontinued in July 2017. The series started on June 22, 2017, which was considered an episode of Fridays with Felix along with the second one, but ever since the third episode, it was no longer considered Fridays with Felix, but a separate series. LWIAY follows a theme song that is supposed to resemble Jack's YIAY's outro song, following the same tune and in a similar format created by YouTuber Day by Dave. The series currently has 135 episodes.
Meme Review is a series where Felix reviews the most recent memes. Felix titles these videos relating to the meme or quoting the meme, and adds "[MEME REVIEW] 👏 👏#(episode number)" one day after its upload. Felix's first meme review was on November 23, 2017, called "Stolen Bike Meme". The series currently has 81 episodes.
Much like Meme Review, Reddit Review, where he reviews top posts on a certain topic on Reddit. Felix often gives his opinion or rating on the post while he criticizes it. Felix's first Reddit Review was on January 3, 2018, reviewing the top posts of "r/niceguys". The series currently has 79 episodes.
Pew News is a parody of KEEMSTAR's DramaAlert news channel. Felix, both in a serious and comedic appearance, explains and talks about the most recent trending topics happening online. Most of it contains YouTubers, while some others contain a trending topic online or known people on social media, it is hosted by Felix playing the character Poppy Harlow (who makes a "pop" noise with her mouth) or Gloria Borger when Poppy is unable to host on that particular day. It began on February 3, 2018. The first episode centered around Logan Paul's return to YouTube after the "Suicide Forest" incident. It is currently hosted by Poppy Smoria, who is possibly related to Poppy Harlow as they have the same first name. PewDiePie has said he stopped doing Pew News, because "he felt like he was feeding into the drama". He has produced 64 episodes of Pew News.
- Gloria Borger
- Poppy Harlow
- Poppy Smoria
- Mary Katherine Ham
- Poppy Borger
- Oopsie Doopsie
- Poppy Gloria
- Poppy PewDiePoop
- Michelle Obama
- Poppy San
- Guillermo Ardruino
- Kate Riley
- Brooke Baldwin
- Don Lemon
- Wolf Blitzner
- Anders Coopers
Involvement in MrBeast's videos
On October 24, 2018, Jimmy made a video called, I Bought Every Billboard In My City For This. In the video, Jimmy used multiple billboards around his city to advertise PewDiePie and to prevent a music company, T-Series, from surpassing PewDiePie in subscribers. Additionally, Jimmy created online ads to advertise PewDiePie that, when clicked, redirects to PewDiePie's channel.
Jimmy also advertised PewDiePie on public posts, newspapers, and the radio, the PewDiePie advertisements have garnered significant attention locally and globally, causing PewDiePie's channel to grow at a faster rate than T-Series. T-Series was approximately less than 100,000 subscribers away from becoming the most subscribed channel up until the release of Jimmy's video, which temporarily halted the channel's growth. Likewise, Jimmy's channel had also gained exponential growth off of the video and the advertisement, which he had mentioned himself on multiple occasions.
Saying PewDiePie 100,000 Times
Even after Jimmy advertised PewDiePie with billboards, it did not stop T-Series from slowing down from PewDiePie longer. T-Series was approximately 90,000 subscribers away from surpassing PewDiePie before Jimmy made another video to keep PewDiePie #1 most subscribed. On November 25, 2018, Jimmy says PewDiePie 100,000 times. At the start of the video, Jimmy tells his fans and new-comers to subscribe to PewDiePie and to help him win the war.↵The subscriber growth was given to PewDiePie once again, gaining 244,000 subscribers the day of Jimmy's upload, and 247,000 subscribers the next day. Jimmy also gained major exposure from the video and gained 181,000 subscribers on the day of its upload, which is Jimmy's fastest growth in terms of subscribers in the past 24 hours. Jimmy also gained 151,000 subscribers the next day.
Even after Jimmy helped out PewDiePie, PewDiePie made a tweet, It looks like this is it boys. with a picture of a text saying Dawn of The Final Day 24 Hours Remain, in which PewDiePie now surrenders his #1 most subscribed title, as T-Series growth had not stopped. Jimmy also made a tweet responding to PewDiePie saying It was an honor fighting by your side, in which Jimmy gives up and can no longer help PewDiePie further, possibly to prevent lack of PewDiePie videos from Jimmy, as it can get weaker along the way.
Advertising PewDiePie at the Super Bowl
On February 3, Jimmy and his affiliates made plans to try and advertise fellow YouTuber PewDiePie's channel while attending Super Bowl LIII (53). To do so, Jimmy bought seats next to one of the end zones, with him and his affiliates wearing shirts ultimately spelling out "SUB 2 PEWDIEPIE" to be seen during one of the field goals. The attempt was broadcasted on live television, with approximately 110 million viewers watching the game. ESPN later tweeted a picture of one of the field goals, subsequently featuring Jimmy's ad. Afterward, PewDiePie's growth grew from 50,000 subscribers to 277,000 subscribers in a single day.
Cameo in Congratulations music video and end of the Subscriber War
MrBeast appeared in the music video for "Congratulations", a song and T-Series diss track made by PewDiePie, Roomie, and Boyinaband. It was uploaded on March 31, 2019. The song sarcastically congratulates T-Series for passing him as the most subscribed channel on YouTube. The music video includes the three YouTubers partying, launching fireworks, and PewDiePie dancing by himself, and MrBeast shows up in the end with a slow clap.
On April 28th 2019, Felix released a video called "Ending the Subscribe to PewDiePie" meme, where he told his fans to stop the meme due to two disgusting actions (the Christchurch shootings and the vandalism of a World War 2 memorial). During the part of the video where Felix mentions getting support from other creators, footage of MrBeast's famous billboard video is shown. Out of respect for this decision, MrBeast stopped referencing the meme in his videos.
PewDiePie has appeared in four videos part of the "Among Us" series on MrBeast Gaming.
- Last To Take Hand Off $1,000,000 Keeps It
- I Bought Every Billboard In My City For This
- I Advertised Pewdiepie At The Super Bowl
- Donating $10000 To Pewdiepie
- Among Us series
- Among Us Live With PewDiePie, JackSepticEye & Corpse!
- Among Us But PewDiePie Goes 90,000 IQ!
- I Made a $100,000 Among Us Tournament!
- Even though Felix is the second most subscribed channel on YouTube, he is still the most subscribed individual YouTuber in the world.
- Felix has been the most subscribed channel on four occasions:
- The first was in August 2013, when PewDiePie surpassed Smosh. He was overthrown in November the same year by YouTube Spotlight.
- The second was in December 2013, when PewDiePie reclaimed the top spot from YouTube Spotlight. He was overthrown again by YouTube Spotlight only a few days later.
- The third was in December 2013 (11 days later), when PewDiePie reclaimed most subscribed from YouTube Spotlight for the second time. He was overthrown by T-Series in March 2019.
- The fourth was in April 2019, when he reclaimed the spot from T-Series after uploading his song 'Congratulations', where he ironically congratulates T-Series for becoming the most subscribed channel.
- Felix is one of the five channels to be the number one most subscribed on more than one occasion: others are Nigahiga, Smosh, YouTube Spotlight and T-Series.
- Felix was tied with Smosh many times as the number one most subscribed channel.
- Felix's parody account, Jack septiceye2, was the fastest channel to reach 1,000,000 subscribers, doing so slightly over a day after its creation due to his slight and humorous promotion of it on his main channel. He deleted this account after hitting 50 million subscribers.
- World Of The Orange|Brad Smith (also known online as Brad WOTO) was Felix's editor, whom his fans have nicknamed Brad1. He has also appeared on Felix's channel as fakemarzia, dressed up as Marzia, whilst still maintaining his beard.
- Brad left his job as Felix's editor in 2019.
- Despite having back & forths with KSI in the past, both KSI and Pewdiepie have admitted in their videos that they respect each other. Pewdiepie even said that he would love to have a beer with KSI if he meets him in person.
- Felix is an uncle, as his sister, Fanny, gave birth to a baby in the spring of 2016.
- Felix played Mikhail Baryshnikov in the ERB video Rasputin vs Stalin
- In Surgeon Simulator 2013, in the Alien Surgery stage, one of the organs is called "Pewdsball" in honor of Felix.
- There is a Pewdiepie reference in the game Lucius 2, Bengt the Beach Ball.
- In Octodad: Dadliest Catch, it's possible to spot "Pewdie Pies" being sold in the Supermarket level.
- Felix hit 40 million subscribers on his 26th birthday.
- In Cry of Fear (not the standalone version), after breaking the first wall with your hammer, if you go straight on the ramp and open the door, there's Stephano inside, and when you click on him, Simon says "Stephano!? What the f*ck PewDiePie!" then a hand crab will appear.
- PewDiePie is the 3rd biggest YouTube channel overall, only preceded by Music and T-Series.
- From 2011 to 2012, Felix worked with a network for gaming channels called Machinima. However, due to Felix not getting the pay or attention he needed, he quit being their member. He has expressed the inconvenience he had with Machinima since with disgust.
- Felix has more than nine times the subscribers than his native country, Sweden, has people.
- According to a Reddit AMA, he plays the electric guitar and has a certain degree of proficiency on the drums and piano.
- Felix's first subscriber (or close to it) was his friend Xebaz who says in an interview that he misses Felix having a lot of free time.
- Felix is known for swearing in his videos, going as far as electric shocking himself for swearing in an Impossible Game video. However, ever since the fall of 2017, the amount of swearing used in his videos has decreased dramatically (although he still swears in his videos occasionally).
- Felix is also known for instinctively swearing in Swedish in his gaming videos.
- Felix raged often in his gaming videos: in 2013 and 2014, he had moments where he would get so mad he would bump his hand into his microphone, put his face up into the camera in an insane manner, repeatedly beat down his fingers on his keyboard and/or back out of his gaming application unintentionally.
- Felix was a fan of the game Club Penguin, which was shut down in March 2017. In December 2016, Revelmode rented out Club Penguin's office in Brighton, England, which functioned as Felix's office for a while.
- Felix was named the seventh Most Handsome Man of 2017 after being ranked eighteenth in 2016.
- 2012 and 2017 were the most unsuccessful years in subscriber and video view gain on the PewDiePie channel.
- Felix vapes, as shown in a live stream he did showcasing a subscriber plummet on his channel in early February 2017. It is unknown how often he vapes.
- Felix has raised nearly 3 million dollars to charity.
- Felix went to Chalmers College due to getting a good grade on a admissions test.
- Felix has some of the most liked and commented videos of all time.
- Felix has won many awards.
- Felix is a moderately big fan of anime. His obsession with it has probably become noticeable ever since 2015.
- Felix has two videos with more views than his amount of subscribers, both of them being his diss tracks, bitch lasagna and Congratulations.
- According to Popsonner's YouTube Top 500 Most Liked Music Video of all times, bitch lasagna is the 40th, while Congratulations is the 80th most liked music video on YouTube.
- Felix has been active on chat forums since 2004.
- Although not acknowledged or well known, Felix reached his ten year anniversary on YouTube.com on December 19, 2016. Although the PewDiePie channel was created on April 29, 2010, he created his Pewdie account on December 19, 2006.
- There are two games based on PewDiePie in which he worked on and developed with the company known as Outerminds: PewDiePie: Legend of the Brofist and PewDiePie's Tuber Simulator.
- Felix is also now currently working with BulbWare to develop the game, Poopdie, as well as working on Animal Super Squad.
- Felix is one of the few YouTubers that has changed the most drastically: it started to take place between 2015 and 2016, in terms of hairstyles, facial hair, voice, accent, personality, content and things that have evolved around his channel originally such as the Brofist.
- Felix has revealed many times that in the past (usually before 2016) he would try super hard to get videos shot in advance and uploaded at times where he would take a break and go on vacation. Three videos, titled "I'M SICK!" (published in June 2016), "Bye" (published in August 2016) and "Tired of trying..." (published in June 2017) show that he has tried too hard and had to take a break from his usual video shooting schedule either due to a vacation or because of sickness. By the third video he says he wouldn't prepare or upload videos anymore during a break.
- T-Series surpassed Felix in video views the same day Felix was dropped from YouTube Red and Maker Studios due to allegations regarding anti-semitism.
- Felix's highest daily subscriber gain was 544,000 subscribers thanks to many other YouTubers helping Felix.
- PewDiePie became the first YouTube channel to surpass an auto-generated YouTube channel in subscribers. It surpassed Movies on November 10, 2018. A month later on December 10, 2018, the channel surpassed Sports. On January 18, 2019, it surpassed Gaming.
- His video, "Can this video get 1 million dislikes?", is the 9th most disliked video on YouTube with over 4 million dislikes.
- Felix is the first independent YouTube content creator to reach 100 million subscribers.
- The Money Nation estimates give PewDiePie an average salary of $12 million per year, which equates to an hourly rate for a 40-hour week of $3.400 per hour.
- Felix is the first YouTuber to wear a Maverick Merch made by Logan Paul (In which he sent it to Pewdiepie during the T-Series Battle).
- He also became one of the famous YouTuber to accept Logan and point out his improvement.
- Felix and Marzia have bought a house in Japan.
- Felix seems to be into “cloud”/dreamy rap and underground rap.
- His top streamed artists on Spotify for 2018 were Bladee, Yung Lean, Joji, BONES and Thaiboi digital.
- Felix was supposed to collaborate and stream with late rapper XXXTENTACION, though this never happened due to Felix fearing backlash from it. After X’s death, he paid his condolences in a video.
- He also seems to not like most XXXTENTACION memes as seen in Meme Review videos, possibly finding them disrespectful, though he has laughed at a few.
- Felix is indeed pescatarian.
- As of October 19, 2019, Felix is banned in China.
- In three of his Q&A videos (HOW TO FLIRT WITH GIRLS!, DON'T FORGET!, and New favorite hair color), there is a running gag where he is asked to laugh like he has never done before.
- Felix shaved his head as shown in LOST my HAIR, When Hearing New Meme Music! which was uploaded on March 3, 2020.